The B&B bears the name of the Port Susa train station right across the street.
The new Porta Susa station of 2013 is underground with an external glass and steel gallery 300 meters long and 19 meters high, and is becoming Torino's main railway traffic hub (urban, regional and international).
In front of the B&B is the historic station building, an eclectic passenger pavilion built in 1856-1858 as the terminus of the train line to Novara (1853) in a rapidly changing city. In 1845 Porta Susa was at one end of a horse-drawn public bus line, running along via Garibaldi, piazza Castello and via Po and terminating at the Gran Madre Church.
The building on Corso Inghilterra 43-45 is a 5-floor apartment complex built in 1889. The building originally had the ground floor and 4 floors and it reached the present configuration with the addition of the 5th floor in 1923. The neighborhood in which it is set, called Cit Turin (Little Torino in the Piedmontese dialect) was developed in the first decades of the 1900's.
The apartment where the B&B is located was purchased in 1915 by Virgilio Bonino for his parents and since then it has been the home of 4 Bonino generations. The B&B was opened in 2007 by the present owner Marco.
The ground floor hosts some shops with windows on the street, among them the renowned Restaurant Vecchia Londra.
It happened in 1889 in Torino
From the same year as the building:
- Foundation of FIAT (Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino).
- The Mole Antonelliana, by the architect Alessandro Antonelli, is completed.
- While the public gas lighting is extended in several streets of the center, electric lighting is installed in Piazza San Carlo.
- The first Union in Italy is founded with the name “Confederazione delle Società Operaie di Torino”. The first general strike in Italy was organized in Torino on April 11 1889 and lasted a few days.
- Between 1888 and 1889 the philosopher Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzschel ived in Torino, in via Carlo Alberto 6. Here he wrote the book “Ecce homo” and his madness was revealed.
- Building of the OGM, the most significant industrial complex still intact in Torino, marked by the presence of great hiostoric and architectural value buildings, by architects such as Pietro Fenoglio and Giacomo Mattè Trucco.
- Foundation of the School of Electrotechnics, later incorporated in the Politecnico di Torino, by Galileo Ferraris (Livorno, VC 1847 - Torino 1896), inventor of the electric induction motor, that changed the world.
Works of 1889
Gabriele D'Annunzio - The Pleasure
Jerome K. Jerome - Three Men in a Boat
Lev Tolstoy - The Kreutzer Sonata
Mark Twain - A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 1